Monday, December 4, 2006

Toe Curls

Why do this?

This motion frees and softens the foot and ankle. This softening allows the foot to become the fulcrum of your balance in the stirrup and to absorb the motion of your horse no matter the terrain, the gait or the job the two of you are doing together.

What it does for me:

My feet and ankles are solid as bricks. This motion has loosened up that rigid density. The more my feet actually open up so that the balls of my feet spread evenly across the stirrup, the more my heels come down to carry my weight and to increasingly stabilize my position in the saddle. The more my ankles open, the more I can feel and connect with the motion of my horse.

Exercise can be done lying flat on the bed with your leg supported down to the mid-calf or sitting. In both positions, extend your leg so the foot is off the bed surface in lying position or elevated from the ground if sitting and free to move.

Point the foot down as far as you can and hold the point.
Curl only the toes up and down.
There is no motion in the ankle.
Begin with 1 set of 20 repetitions.
Work up to 3 sets of 20 repetitions if there is no cramping in the leg.
Work up to 100 repetitions if there is no cramping in the leg.
Repeat with opposite foot.

Variation

Same positions, lying on bed or sitting.
Flex foot up as far as it goes without elevating leg position and hold the flex.
Curl only the toes up and down.
There is no motion in the ankle.
Begin with 1 set of 20 repetitions.
Work up to 3 sets of 20 repetitions if there is no cramping in the leg.
Work up to 100 repetitions if there is no cramping in the leg.
Repeat with opposite foot.

No comments: