Friday, December 8, 2006

Supported Neck Curl

Why do this?

This stretch restores the natural curve in your neck. By restoring that natural curve you will be more aware of keeping that curve while you sit, stand and ride your horse.

What this does for me:

This stretch automatically releases tension and stiffness in your neck. (If you get headaches, it’s also good for relieving them.) The Neck Curl helps me keep my neck stacked over my spine. When I ride, I have less of a turtle and/or chicken neck. That’s good for all kinds of situations with my horse - all gaits, all transitions, all disciplines.

Standing or sitting.

Breathe - inhale into your breastbone and exhale through the bottom of your shoulders.

Go for neutral, not arched, spine.

Lock pelvis by pulling your belly button towards your spine.

Put both hands behind the base of your neck to support it.
Let, do not force, your neck and head roll straight backwards over your hands.
Do not tilt or bend your head or neck to one side or the other.
Let your head and neck relax back over your supporting hands for 5 seconds.
Raise your head and neck with the help of your hands to its upright position.
Relax and rest for 20 – 30 seconds.
Repeat the motion by first resetting your pelvis lock and hands behind the base of your neck.
Work up to 5 repetitions.

No comments: