Monday, December 4, 2006

Slant Board or Book Stands

Why do this?

Stretches and strengthens your calf muscles. Also helps unlock rigid ankles.

What it does for me:

The other day, I hiked up a steep incline and noticed that my heels actually stretched down to the pitch of the slope. No having to hike on my toes up the hill. This stretching and flexing make my calf muscles and ankles more elastic. As a result, I can use my leg more effectively with my horse because my entire lower leg is softer. And, my heels can more easily drop down below the stirrup irons.

Standing on either a 30-degree slant board or on a thick book with the balls of your feet on the book and heels on the floor,

Breath - inhale through your breastbone and exhale through the bottom of your shoulders.

Encourage a neutral, not arched, spine.

Lock your pelvis by pulling your belly button towards your spine.

Go for quality of movement, not quantity.

With both feet on either the slant board or book (balls of feet on the book and heels on the floor), your pelvis locked and your shoulders, spine and legs straight as if stacked in one plane, hold the stretch for 10 seconds.
Make sure your heels always stay in contact with the slant board or floor as you stretch.
Build up to 30 seconds.
Get off the board or book, release and relax.
Once able to do 5 repetitions of 30 seconds, stand on the board or book with your pelvis locked and spine straight and bend your knees for 5 seconds while keeping your knees going straight ahead as though they were headlights in front of you.
After 5 seconds, straighten your legs.
At 5-second intervals, go from staight legs to bent knees.
Do 5 repetitions and get off the board or book, release and relax.

No comments: